The Physiotherapy service provides physiotherapy services to patients across all three hospital sites. Each of our departments offers a variety of specialised services which can respond to each patients' specific needs.
Clinical service overview
We care for:
- inpatients at all three hospital sites
- outpatients who have been referred from a clinical service within Alfred Health
- people in the community whilst under specialised programs (such as HARP and ABI)
- people in the community who are referred to the Caulfield Community Health Service or a Community Rehabilitation Program.
The Alfred and Sandringham Hospital
The Acute Physiotherapy Service at the Alfred and Sandringham Hospital is organised into five functional streams: Intensive Care, Musculoskeletal, Respiratory, PAN (Progressive Illness, Aged Care and Neurosciences), and Sandringham. The first four streams are located at The Alfred site, with the fifth stream based at the Sandringham site.
The Alfred physiotherapy department provides physiotherapy services to specialty areas such as:
- Cystic Fibrosis (24 hour/day)
- Burns and Plastics
- Heart and Lung Transplants
- Infectious Diseases and HIV
Other services include:
- Emergency Department (Primary Contact)
- General Medical
- General Surgical
- Cancer Services
At Caulfield, the Physiotherapy Department provides an intensive specialist service to rehabilitation and aged care patients in a multidisciplinary team environment. It is organised into three clinical streams:
- neurological rehabilitation
- orthopaedic, amputee and general rehabilitation
- aged care and residential care
Assessment and treatment occurs on an inpatient and outpatient basis. There is also a modern hydrotherapy pool on site for rehabilitation purposes.
The Caulfield physiotherapy department has expertise in the following clinical areas:
- amputee rehabilitation
- meurological rehabilitation
- spinal rehabilitation
- burns rehabilitation
- cardiac rehabilitation
- complex regional pain
- aged care
- transitional care
- residential care
- aged psychiatry
The Alfred Health Physiotherapy Department is a clinical school for both La Trobe and Monash Universities. We are committed to improving the level of evidence for physiotherapy best practise, through clinical research.
Advanced practice musculoskeletal physiotherapy services
Alfred Health advanced musculoskeletal physiotherapy services utilise the expertise of experienced musculoskeletal physiotherapists (minimum 5-7 years experience), with post-graduate training, to work collaboratively with the medical teams to manage uncomplicated, isolated musculoskeletal presentations.
For each service there is a clinical lead physiotherapist who is responsible for education/ training, credentialing and competency of the musculoskeletal physiotherapists working in their area, the service development and evaluation of the clinics.
Advanced practice services available at Alfred Health:
- Advanced Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy in the Emergency Department: The Alfred Emergency and Trauma Centre and Sandringham Hospital Emergency Department
- Physiotherapy ED Soft Tissue Review Clinic
- Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Screen
- PAR (Physio Arthroplasty Review) Clinic
- The Osteoarthritis hip and knee service (OAHKS)
- Neurosurgery Physiotherapy Screening Clinic
- Neurosurgery Post-Operative Review Clinic
Refer your patient
Internal referrals only
We accept referrals for inpatients and patients who have been referred internally from Alfred Health services.
- Referral enquiries (Access Unit) 9076 6776
- Referral fax (Access Unit) 9076 6773
- Enquiries email (Access Unit) firstname.lastname@example.org