We look after people who have had a Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) implanted.
What to expect
You will initially be introduced to the VAD Coordinator when you are a patient in hospital. The VAD Coordinator along with medical staff will organise assessments, blood tests and other investigations, and provide you, your family and carers with education.
The VAD coordinator will book you into the VAD clinic when you are in hospital. This is where you will attend for ongoing appointments following the insertion of your VAD.
The VAD Coordinator and nurses will teach you about living with a VAD and how to operate your VAD system. Immediately following your VAD implant you will be required to attend the clinic at least weekly. As your health improves, these appointments become less frequent.
Importantly, at this clinic you can discuss any concerns you have with the VAD Coordinator or other health care professionals in the clinic.
When you come to clinic, it is important that you bring with you your VAD diary, as well as spare VAD equipment (such as batteries and controllers).
How to access this clinic
Speak with your Alfred Health treating team
Patients should speak with their Alfred Health doctor, nurse or allied health practitioner to access this clinic.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)
|Monday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Tuesday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Wednesday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Thursday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Friday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
- Prof Kumud Dhital: Cardiothoracic Surgery & Transplantation
- Prof Silvana Marasco: Cardiothoracic Surgery & Transplantation
- Prof David McGiffin: Cardiothoracic Surgery & Transplantation
- Dr Peter Bergin: Cardiology
- Mr Adam Zimmet: Cardiothoracic Surgery & Transplantation