We care for people who have problems relating to their feet or lower limbs.
What we do
At The Alfred, we primarily care for people in the hospital, or outpatients with serious foot problems.
We also run a service for inpatients at Caulfield Hospital, and we provide an outpatient service through the Caulfield Community Health Service (CCHS). Podiatry at CCHS can help with:
- custom made insoles
- diabetes related foot assessments
- foot health screening
- footwear assessment
- general foot care (treatment of toenails and removal of corns and callous)
- nail surgery
- wax bath clinics
- wound management
Who we care for
We care for:
- inpatients at The Alfred and Caulfield Hospital
- outpatients who have been referred from a clinical service within Alfred Health. Patients assessed to be of low or moderate priority will be referred to local podiatry services within their area
- people in the community who are referred to the Caulfield Community Health Service
Commonly asked questions
At The Alfred, there is no charge for appointments, however prescribed orthotics will be charged to you.
If you attend the CCHS for podiatry, a small fee will apply. In exceptional circumstances, fees may be reduced or waived.
Clients who live outside of the catchment area will be charged at private practitioner rates.
How to access this service
Referral from your GP
Most patients are either inpatients or have been referred following discharge from hospital.
For community outpatient clinics, your GP can refer to the Caulfield Community Health Service (CCHS).
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)