Management of complex medical issues in the aged.
Clinical service overview
We take a holistic approach to caring for older adults experiencing complex medical issues. We look at each health issue and disease and how they interact with each other, to ensure the best care and treatment for our patients.
- conduct comprehensive geriatric assessments (CGA)
- develop comprehensive management plans and provide regular reviews
- visit patients living in residential care facilities for initial and review appointments
- are part of the large Alfred Health network of connected services
- work with other medical specialities to improve patient care
- support GPs, residential care facility staff and other health professionals to improve overall health and wellbeing
Some patients living in residential care facilities may attend appointments via a video call.
Facility nursing staff are encouraged to support patients during specialist video call appointments. GP participation during the video call appointments is also welcomed.
Who we see
There is usually no set age but people are usually more than 75 years old.
We can help if you or your patients are worried about:
- Problems with walking & falls
- Feeling tired
- Memory loss
- Feeling down or anxious
- Bladder / bowel problems
- Loss of strength
- Weight loss or diet concerns
- Ongoing health problems
- Moving out of home to live elsewhere
- Complex medical issues & multi-morbidities
- Managing challenging behaviours
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency. Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 6800
- Referral fax (03) 9076 6435
Special referral instructions
If a CGA is needed, please state so on the referral
- A/Prof Peter Hunter:
- Dr Jonathan Beavers: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Amelia Crabtree: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Renata Lemke: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Seema Parikh: General Medicine, Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Suma Poojary: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Brenton Tay: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Christie Little: Geriatric Medicine
- Dr Katherine Rush: Geriatric Medicine
On the doctor’s behalf, Alfred Health can bulk bill the cost of the consultation for some services through Medicare. This means there is no out of pocket expense to the patient.
MBS-billed services require a current referral. Provide your patient with a 12 month referral to see the specialist of your choice at the requested clinic.
Referrals must be addressed to a named specialist or the Head of service, listed at the top of this page. Clinic consultants are listed on every clinic page.
Note that from time to time, your patient may be seen by another specialist in the clinic, in order to expedite their treatment.