We provide education to both staff and patients on how best to manage diabetes. We act as advocates for all patients with diabetes and promote self management of diabetes.
Clinical service overview
The Alfred diabetes education team has eight educators, six of whom are credentialled. The team has a wealth of expertise and are highly skilled experts in the latest technologies e.g. Insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring and smart meter technology.
- we are a hospital based service that aims to provide a team approach to care for people with diabetes
- we endeavour to inform and teach skills that enable people to care for their diabetes
- we encourage and promote a healthy lifestyle, to foster responsibility for diabetes care, and where needed involve family or carer in the daily management of diabetes
- all staff are skilled in the diabetes needs of our older adults
- we also recognise that when recovering from an illness, education about diabetes at this stage isn't always a person's first priority, hence ensuring referrals to appropriate community services is important
Within the hospital we also have a role in educating and acting as a resource for doctors, nursing staff and other health professionals through:
- inpatient diabetes education services
- implementation and management of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion pump therapy and smart meter technology
- implementation and management of continuous glucose monitoring
- policy development and quality projects
- ward rounds and team meetings
Refer your patient
Inpatient referral only
A referral from an Alfred Specialist or other hospital treating team is essential for accessing this service.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 3457
- Enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org
Special referral instructions
Patients must be referred to an Endocrinology clinic in the first instance.
Insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring referrals from Private Endocrinologists must be directed to the Diabetes Education manager via letter.
|Diabetes Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Pump Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Diabetes & Endocrine Clinic||Caulfield Hospital||260 Kooyong Rd, Caulfield VIC 3162|
|Gestational Diabetes & Endocrine Disease in Pregnancy Clinic||Sandringham Hospital||193 Bluff Rd, Sandringham VIC 3191|
|Young Adults Diabetes Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
Children with Diabetes
An online community for kids, families and adults with diabetes
Baker Heart & Diabetes Institute
An independent, internationally renowned medical research facility with a focus on diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diabetes and cardiovascular disease
American Diabetes Association
Kidney Health Australia