The Bariatric Clinic provides review and management of patients requiring surgical management for obesity.
Clinical service overview
We provide a number of surgical interventions, including:
- laparascopic banding
- sleeve gastrectomy
- gastric bypass
In accordance with the Department of Health’s framework for bariatric surgery, candidates for the Alfred Health bariatric service program should:
- have a BMI>40 OR a BMI<35, with two or more significant obesity-related co-morbidities
- be between 18 and 65 years of age
- have attempted but not succeeded in achieving or maintaining clinically beneficial weight loss using non-surgical measures
Note: ALL below documentation must be completed for your patient to be considered for bariatric surgery.
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency.
Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
If a patient requires surgery, they will be placed on a surgical waiting list. The patient may also need to attend a Pre-Admission Clinic prior to surgery.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 0856
- Referral fax (03) 9076 0113
- Enquiries email email@example.com
Framework for bariatric surgery in Victoria’s public hospitals
Victorian Government framework in relation to surgery for morbid obesity
Bariatric surgery referral guidelines 1 MB
Specialist Consulting Clinics Referral Form 229 KB
Bariatric clinic screening assessment form 85 KB
Special referral instructions
A referral will only be processed if we have received both the referral to a named specialist AND the Bariatric clinic screening assessment form with Epworth Sleepiness Scale.
- Prof Wendy Brown: Endoscopy, General Surgery (The Alfred)
- Mr Paul Burton: Endoscopy, General Surgery (The Alfred)
- Mr Damien Loh: Endoscopy, General Surgery (The Alfred)
- Dr Kirk Kee: Respiratory physician
- Miss Ingra Bringmann: General Surgery (The Alfred)
- Mr Yao-Yen Richard Chen: Endoscopy, General Surgery (The Alfred)
- Mr Andrew Packiyanathan:
On the doctor’s behalf, Alfred Health can bulk bill the cost of the consultation for some services through Medicare. This means there is no out of pocket expense to the patient.
MBS-billed services require a current referral. Provide your patient with a 12 month referral to see the specialist of your choice at the requested clinic.
Referrals must be addressed to a named specialist or the Head of service, listed at the top of this page. Clinic consultants are listed on every clinic page.
Note that from time to time, your patient may be seen by another specialist in the clinic, in order to expedite their treatment.