What we do
We provide a comprehensive general and specialist diagnostic service for:
- histopathology - examination of a biopsy or surgical specimen under a microscope
- cytopathology - examination of a cell or tissue fragment
Who we care for
We can a provide service for any patient who has had a pathology request slip completed by their GP and/or specialist.
Your doctor may suggest the most appropriate pathology service for your needs.
Patient Choice legislation allows patients to take a pathology request to an approved pathology practitioner or approved pathology authority of your choice, unless the requesting practitioner specifies an approved pathology practitioner for clinical reasons.
If you are still unsure, contact your doctor, or our patient enquiries number to discuss your needs with a staff member.
How to access this service
Referral from your GP
We accept requests from GPs and specialists. Your doctor needs to complete an Alfred Pathology Request form and either fax it to the service or give it you to bring in with you on the day of your procedure.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame