Getting to The Alfred
Public transport and taxis
Partial closure to Commercial Road
From Saturday November 23 – Tuesday November 26, access to Commercial Road will be limited overnight, while maintenance work takes place on our helipad.
The road area surrounding the helipad, near The Alfred’s front entrance, will be closed between 9.00pm – 5.00am each night. There will be no general vehicle access on Commercial Road between Alfred Lane and the hospital’s main drop-off point during this time.
Trams will not travel along Commercial Road between 1.00am – 5.00am each morning.
Emergency access on the road and on the helipad will not be impacted at any time, and traffic management will be in place to facilitate this.
Bus route changes
Patients and visitors are advised of route changes for buses which stop at The Alfred on Commercial Road, effective Sunday 17 November.
Route 603 Brighton Beach – The Alfred Hospital will replace the existing route 216 and 219 buses between Brighton Beach and the Alfred Hospital.
Route 604 Gardenvale – The Alfred Hospital will replace the existing route 220 and 219 buses between Gardenvale and the Alfred Hospital, via Orrong Road.
Route 219 will be discontinued as it duplicates most of Route 216 and travels to Gardenvale Station, which will be serviced by the new route 604.
Tram works – Commercial Road
Public Transport Victoria and Yarra Trams will be undertaking work to install new tram power cables in a section of Commercial Road, near The Alfred’s main entrance.
Work will take place from Monday 18 November – Friday 22 November 2019 and Monday 25 November – Friday 29 November 2019, between 8am – 5pm.
Access to The Alfred is unchanged, however, the bike lane and some on street car parking will be temporarily unavailable during this time.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while this work is complete.
- Tram number 72 stops in front of The Alfred main entrance and near to The Alfred Centre entrance. Some of these trams offer wheelchair or disability access but there is no regular timetable for these specific trams.
- Tram numbers 3, 5, 6, 64 and 67 stop on St Kilda Road at the Commercial Road intersection, which is a short walk from The Alfred.
- There is a digital tram timetable display at main reception and in The Alfred Café.
- Prahran railway station is within walking distance. Walk along Greville Street and then Punt Road to Commercial Road.
- Bus numbers 603 and 604 stop on Commercial Road
- Bus number 246 stops on Punt Road at the Commercial Road intersection and is a short walk from The Alfred.
- Ask your driver to drop you at your preferred entrance.
- Free taxi phones are available at the hospital’s main receptions if you need to book a taxi.
Find out more at Public Transport Victoria, or take a look at public transport options in the City of Port Phillip.