What we do
We have clinical psychologists and neuropsychologists in our team.
Our clinical psychologists are specialists in:
- the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of major mental illnesses and common psychological problems
- using a range of assessments that can help with assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning
Our neuropsychologists are specialists in:
- looking at the relationship between brain function and behaviour
- assessing the changes in cognition (memory, language, intellect) and behaviour, which may arise from brain dysfunction, such as head injury, epilepsy, brain infection, stroke, drug and alcohol disorders, schizophrenia and developmental disorders
Who we care for
Our psychologists work within a range of services.
At the Alfred, these include:
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Heart Transplant
At Caulfield and in the community, we work with patients in:
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Community rehabilitation
- Aged Care
- Aged Inpatient Mental Health
- Aged Community Mental Health
- Acquired Brain Injury Rehabilitation (ABI)
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pain Management
- Continence clinic
- Caulfield Community Health Service, including Paediatric Psychology
- Cognitive Decline & Memory Service (CDAMS)
- Adult Community Mental Health Services – St Kilda Rd and Waiora Clinics
- Child and Youth Mental Health Services
Commonly asked questions
If you have access to a clinical psychology or neuropsychology through Alfred Health there will be no cost to the service they provide.
How to access this service
We do not accept external referrals to our service
If you are being treated by a unit or team listed above which has a psychologist and you require psychological support, we can help you. Please discuss a referral to psychology with a member of your treating team.
If you require mental health care in the community, we recommend a referral to an appropriate Community Mental Health Service:
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, call Psychiatric Triage on 1300 363 746. This is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week service. An experienced mental health clinician will take your call or call you back if you leave a message.
ResourcesAll patient resources
Psychology for Children - CCHS
Centre for Clinical Interventions
Medicare factsheet - mental health rebates 52 KB
Information sheet outlining how Medicare rebates are applied to mental health services provided by psychologists
What is a Clinical Psychologist?
What does a Psychologist do?
What does a Neuropsychologist do?
Australian Psychological Society
Services, resources, fact sheets and forums
A research unit focused on online education and treatment for health and wellbeing
A guide to mental health problems and support available
The national centre of excellence in youth mental health