The Palliative Care Service at the Alfred is a multi-disciplinary consultative service consisting of a registrar, part-time Palliative medicine Physicians, Clinical Nurse Specialists and a Grief Counsellor.
Clinical service overview
Only a small proportion of patients need to be seen by a palliative care medical specialist. Most can be managed by their general practitioner and their existing specialists – for example oncologist, general physicians and geriatricians.
Those patients for whom advice from, or review by, a Palliative Medicine Physician may be useful include:
- refractory symptom management including pain control, nausea/vomiting, constipation, delirium etc
- assistance with end of life decision making (i.e. withdrawal of treatment, artificial hydration etc)
- advance care planning
- management /referral of patients/carers with profound existential distress, grief or bereavement issues
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency. Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 6970
- Referral fax (03) 9076 6966
- Enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Thursday||The Alfred||9.30am - 12.00pm|
- Dr Michelle Gold: Palliative Care
- Dr Cathy Corbett: General Medicine, Palliative Care
- Dr Kerry Mclaughlin: Anaesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Pain Medicine
- Dr Chi Li: Palliative Care
Palliative Care Australia
Services, resources, fact sheets and forums
Palliative Care Victoria
Services, resources, fact sheets and forums in Victoria
A page for GPs looking for palliative care resources
Southern metro palliative care consortium
An alliance of palliative care service providers that aims to support improvements in the integration and coordination of palliative care services