The Advance Care Planning service assists people with planning for their future health and personal care. Advance care planning helps to ensure an individual's choices are known and respected for future medical treatment in the event that the person is unable to make or communicate their decisions.
Clinical service overview
The Advance Care Planning Service can assist in all or some of the following steps with individuals:
- talking to family and significant others, including medical professionals, about their values and preferences
- appointing a Medical Enduring Power of Attorney to make medical decisions on their behalf should they become incompetent
- writing down their values and preferences in an Advance Care Plan or Advance Care Plan Non Competent
- completing a Refusal of Treatment Certificate Competent or Non Competent to legally refuse specific treatment for a current condition
- distributing copies of the advance care planning documents to key health service providers and decision makers eg Alfred Health, the patient’s GP, Medical Enduring Power Of Attorney and family.
Anyone can make an advance care plan, however, it is of particular importance to those who have a chronic health condition or are regularly admitted to hospital. It is ideal to undertake advance care planning when the individual’s health is stable.
Advance care planning community information sessions are scheduled multiple times throughout the year. These sessions provide an overview of advance care planning in a group setting. They are held at Caulfield Hospital and bookings are required.
Refer your patient
GP, specialist or self-referral
We accept referrals from GPs, specialists, health professionals, family, carers, case managers and patients.
- Referral phone (03) 9076 6642
Advance Care Plan Contact Sheet 24 KB
Form to list contacts for your plan
Advance Care Planning Australia
A resource for people which outlines ACP, FAQs, training, news & events, reports, projects and ppublications
Advance Care Planning Brochure
A detailed guide for patients about advance care planning.
A Guide to Advance Care Planning
Find out about advance care plans.
Advance Care Planning Information Sheet
Information for patients about the advance care plan.
Advance Care Plan (interactive) 120 KB
Advance Care Plan (Non-competent Adult) 59 KB
Form for your plan
Medical Enduring Power of Attorney information sheet 105 KB
Medical Enduring Power of Attorney 32 KB
Office of the Public Advocate
Office of the Public Advocate - Take Control 726 KB
A guide for making enduring powers of attorney.