The Advance Care Planning service assists people with planning for their future health and personal care. Advance care planning helps to ensure an individual's choices are known and respected for future medical treatment in the event that the person is unable to make or communicate their decisions.
Clinical service overview
The Advance Care Planning Service can assist in all or some of the following steps with individuals:
- talking to family and significant others, including medical professionals, about their values and preferences
- appointing a Medical Treatment Decision Maker to make medical decisions on their behalf should they become incompetent
- writing down their values and preferences in an Advance Care Directive
- distributing copies of the advance care planning documents to key health service providers and decision makers eg Alfred Health, the patient’s GP, Medical Treatment Decision Maker
Anyone can do advance care planning, however, it is of particular importance to those who have a chronic health condition or are regularly admitted to hospital. It is ideal to undertake advance care planning when the individual’s health is stable.
Community information sessions
Advance Care Planning community information sessions are scheduled multiple times throughout the year. These sessions provide an overview of Advance Care Planning in a group setting.
Bookings are essential. Find out more about our community information sessions.
Refer your patient
GP, specialist or self-referral
We accept referrals from GPs, specialists, health professionals, family, carers, case managers and patients.
- Referral phone (03) 9076 6642
Advance Care Planning - Advance Care Directive for adults 641 KB
Advance Care Planning - Instructions for completing Advance Care Directive 192 KB
Advance Care Planning - Medical Treatment Decision Maker form 628 KB
Advance Care Planning - Checklist of steps for appointing your Medical Treatment Decision Maker 128 KB
Advance Care Planning Australia
A resource for people which outlines ACP, FAQs, training, news & events, reports, projects and publications
Advance Care Planning Brochure
Office of the Public Advocate
Advance Care Planning Brochure (Greek)
Advance Care Planning Brochure (Russian)