Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers
Our Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers (AHLOs) support Aboriginal patients, families, community members and our staff.
We can support patients from an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background by:
- Improving healthcare services and maintain positive relationships within the Aboriginal community, other service providers and government departments.
- Being a link between the medical teams and the patient / families, during the admission.
- Assisting upon discharge to ensure the patient / family are well supported and understands their future medical care.
- Providing education to the wider Alfred Health Staff to increase understanding and respect of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; to ensure a culturally appropriate experience whilst in hospital.
We can provide the following services:
- Face to face contact with patients
- Social and emotional support
- Engagement and Advocacy for patients and their family
- Assisting with discharge planning and accessing resources
- Assist with enquiries for patients and families
- Follow up care with patients