Palliative Medicine Registrar
Advanced training in palliative medicine at Alfred Health
Alfred Health is an accredited site for advanced training in palliative medicine through the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) / Australasian Chapter of Palliative Medicine (AChPM).
Advanced trainees are able to undertake either Training Term 3 (Teaching hospital / Consultation) or Training Term 4 (Cancer Care Setting) at Alfred Health.
The Palliative Medicine Registrar position is a six-month full-time appointment. The trainee will have the opportunity to rotate through two roles during their time with the service:
- Alfred inpatients – help to provide specialist palliative care for inpatients at The Alfred, as a member of a multidisciplinary consultation-liaison team caring for patients and families with complex needs in a tertiary hospital setting; work closely with cancer services, acute and chronic pain services, as well as various statewide services including trauma, burns, heart and lung transplantation, bone marrow transplantation, cystic fibrosis, HIV and melanoma
- Caulfield / outpatients – experience consultation-liaison specialist palliative care in a subacute setting (aged care and rehabilitation), plus supervised practice in a myriad of co-located clinics (medical oncology, hepatoma, heart and lung transplant) and other outpatient / ambulatory care settings
The roles can be amended to meet the requirements of Training Term 4 (Cancer Care Setting) as required.
Additional responsibilities and learning opportunities for the advanced trainee include
- Participating in the after-hours on-call roster for medical oncology and palliative care (1-in-3 shared with medical oncology registars)
- Attending multi-disciplinary team meetings (complex pain, lung cancer, ENT, burns, hepatoma, transplant, etc)
- Supervising basic physician trainees and medical students rotating through the service,\
- Contributing to a wide range of teaching, quality, research and self-care activities being undertaken by the service
Alfred Health participates in the centralised match for advanced trainees in palliative medicine in Victoria through the Victorian Palliative Medicine Training Program (VPMTP).
Candidates are encouraged to contact Dr Michelle Gold or Dr Chi Li before applying through the VPMTP website.