As a teaching institution, Alfred Health is renowned for passing on knowledge and expertise. In recent years, education and training has extended far beyond Melbourne.
We have worked with numerous countries around the world:
- China - Since 2011, The Alfred has been working with the Chinese region of Shenzhen. Our experts in Emergency medicine and Intensive Care have visited several times to share their knowledge in critical care, in a region where our trauma system is alien. Chinese clinicians are particularly interested in Alfred Health’s systems approach, where teamwork is key. This includes talking to them about our MET (Medical Emergency Team) calls where multiple people take care of a patient, including an anaesthetist, intensivist, trauma doctors and nurses in a deteriorating medical situation.
- India - We have been helping the Indian government develop their trauma system since 2013. We are helping in the areas of trauma prevention, control and management, in order to develop a sustainable model of trauma care system and injury prevention.
- The Alfred Intensive Care staff have taught in Cambodia, Bali, New Zealand and Fiji.
- Sri Lanka - In 2013, ICU doctors and nurses visited the new Emergency Trauma Centre at Karapitiya hospital in Sri Lanka offering expertise.
- The National Trauma Research Institute based at The Alfred works with organisations nationally and internationally to prevent and reduce the impact of severe injury by integrating research, education, biotechnologies and trauma systems development to improve clinical care and outcomes.