Heart failure makes patients feel short of breath, and half of heart failure is due to a weak heart and the other half is due to a stiff heart. The HFPEF Clinic is the only Victorian service which manages patients with this second type of heart failure.
What we do
The HFPEF Clinic is a comprehensive clinic to diagnose, evaluate and treat patients with HFPEF, previously known as diastolic heart failure.
In view of the limited traditional treatment options available, this clinic provides a streamlined, structured assessment and confirmation of the diagnosis using echocardiography and gold standard exercise right heart catheterisation.
The clinic is intrinsically linked to the internationally renowned research program led by Professor David Kaye, and patients are offered early access to breaking trials of new drugs and devices available. The clinic is designed to complement the care provided by the patient’s general practitioner and cardiologist, working in concert to provide advice regarding evaluation and management.
How to access this clinic
Referral from your GP
You need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral letter to us. We will be in contact with you in clinically recommended times, depending on waiting list length. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)
|Wednesday||The Alfred||9.00am - 1.00pm|
- Prof David Kaye: Cardiology
- A/Prof Justin Mariani: Cardiology
- Dr Boyoun Choi: Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction
- Dr Shane Nanayakkara: Cardiology