Being a researcher at Alfred Health
When a person conducts research at Alfred Health, various risks arise for the researcher and for Alfred Health. The information sheet describes the arrangements that need to be in place for someone to be a researcher, including in the capacity of a student, to cover the liability of researcher conduct.
Undertaking research as a student requires adherence to a number of site specific requirements.
- A student undertaking an undergraduate clinical placement and doing some research
- An Alfred Health employee undertaking a post-graduate course
- A student who is not an Alfred Health employee undertaking a post-graduate course
- A student who is not an Alfred Health employee undertaking a course but not on a formal clinical placement
- A student who is not an Alfred Health employee who is visiting and gaining experience to undertake their research
- A student who is not an Alfred Health employee, not on-site but will conduct research activity such as phone interviews or have access to a coded or non-identifiable dataset from Alfred Health records.
There are 3 key things that need to be in place:
- A Student Placement Agreement between Alfred Health and the student’s education provider. To determine if this is in place, check with the education provider or Alfred Health Legal Office.
- The course that the student is completing needs to be included on the Student Placement Agreement via Schedule 1. Check with the education provider and if it is not included, contact the Office of Ethics and Research Governance.
- The student should complete and sign Schedule 3 (the Student Undertaking) and provide a copy to the relevant Alfred Health department. The Schedule 3 (Student Undertaking) is available from the education provider.
Monash University medical students need to contact the Director of Medical Student Programs to obtain a letter of support and complete the Student Undertaking.
Monash University Bachelor of Medical Science (Hons) or “BMedSci (Hons)” students are issued with a “placement letter” by the course administrator and need to provide this letter. Students must also complete the Student Undertaking.
A Student Placement Agreement ensures that Alfred Health and student researcher are covered for the risks and liability arising from a student conducting research.
A separate Research Agreement might also be required to address issues such as data transfer and ownership, intellectual property, publications and research funding.