What started as a fun night with friends quickly turned into months of painful rehab for 19-year-old Michael Robertson.
Michael and his friends were trying to get a drum fire started, but it failed to catch properly.
In an attempt to speed the process up, Michael poured petrol onto the fire, which quickly exploded out of control.
“My girlfriend was telling me to stop, but I thought it would be fine and didn’t listen,” he said.
“But it got out of control and as I tried to contain the fire around the drum, my friend was trying to stomp out the fire which had spread to nearby grass.
“Unfortunately he accidentlly kicked the fire and some accelerant across my legs.”
Michael sustained a burb to his leg which extended from above his ankly to his thigh.
While he didn’t require skin grafts, he endured a number of painful months of rehabilitation.
"Seeing yourself on fire is the worst thing imaginable," he said.
"I tried to pat it out, but because it was petrol it just kept starting up again
“It started off as a bit of fun, but I want people to see what can happen when you’re not careful because what I’ve been through hasn’t been fun.
Alfred Health Victorian Adult Burns Unit Director Associate Professor Heather Cleland said Michael’s story is all too common and last year admissions for burns were at a five-year high.
With warm weather forecast this long weekend, she said burns stemming from recreational settings such as campfires and barbecues were a major concern.
“If you are lighting a fire this weekend, don’t use accelerants as they’re a recipe for disaster," Associate professor Cleland said.
"Almost 30 percent of hospital burns admissions last year caused by a fire were fuelled by accelerants – 36 of which were at campfire and bonfire sites.”