We care for people with gland and hormone diseases. We also care for people with diabetes. We provide diabetes education and support and can manage health problems related to diabetes.
Clinical service overview
We specialise in:
- all aspects of general endocrinology (pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, calcium and metabolic disorders and gonadal disease)
- diabetes - acute and chronic care, and diabetes education
- endocrine emergencies (diabetes, pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, calcium)
- foot disease in diabetes: vascular, neuropathic, acute infections and ulceration
- osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease
- paget's disease evaluation and treatment
- thyroid nodule and goitre evaluation and therapy including fine needle biopsy
- thyroid cancer management
- endocrine hypertension evaluation and therapy in suspected renovascular disease and hyperaldosteronism
- day bed facility for investigation and treatment of endocrine disease including specialised procedures e.g. adrenal vein sampling, petrosal sinus sampling, IV bisphosphonate therapy of osteoporosis & Paget's disease, testosterone implants for male hypogonadism, oestrogen implants for menopause (HRT)
- insulin pump therapy commencement and continuous glucose monitoring
This service does not routinely offer treatment for the following:
- Patients who are being treated for the same condition at another Victorian public hospital
- Children under 18 years of age
- Obesity where there is no suspected underlying endocrine condition
- Impaired glucose tolerance only
- Diabetes well controlled on diet alone
- NIDDM with good control and without complications
- Patients requiring dietary and exercise advice, or blood pressure and lipid assessment alone
- Patients whose primary problem is not directly related to their diabetes
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency. Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 2460
Endocrinology referral guidelines 580 KB
Diabetes referral guidelines 603 KB
Radiology and Nuclear Medicine request form 67 KB
Special referral instructions
Include any relevant clinical history and copies of tests already undertaken to expediate referral triage.
Relevant tests for Diabetes Clinic include:
|Diabetes Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Young Adults Diabetes Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Pump Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Endocrinology Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Menopause & Endocrine Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Women’s Health Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Osteoporosis Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Diabetes & Endocrine Clinic||Caulfield Hospital||260 Kooyong Rd, Caulfield VIC 3162|
|Endocrinology Clinic||Sandringham Hospital||193 Bluff Rd, Sandringham VIC 3191|