We perform procedures to look at different areas of the digestive system to investigate symptoms or problems.
Clinical service overview
The Endoscopy Service performs over 100 procedures a week at The Alfred Centre. The service has gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, upper-gastrointestinal surgeons and an Endoscopy Nurse practitioner.
The procedures we perform are:
- flexible sigmoidoscopy
- ERCP - specialist referral only
- balloon enteroscopy - specialist referral only
- PEG Insertion - specialist referral only
Some patients may be required to be seen in the Rapid Access Clinic for Endoscopy (RACE) prior to their procedure.
This service does not routinely offer treatment for the following:
- Patients who are being treated for the same condition at another Victorian public hospital
- Children under 18 years of age
- Patients who live outside of the Alfred Health endoscopy catchment area (see guidelines below for catchment area)
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency.
Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
If a patient requires surgery, they will be placed on a surgical waiting list. The patient may also need to attend a Pre-Admission Clinic prior to surgery.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 0211
- Referral fax (03) 9076 2194
|Rapid Access Clinic for Endoscopy||The Alfred||99 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|