Our BES service specialises in three distinct surgical areas - breast, endocrine and general.
Clinical service overview
The unit provides assessment, diagnosis, surgery and multidisciplinary management for breast conditions:
- New patients are usually seen within a week and access to surgery is also available in a short time frame
- Female and male breast surgeons work within the service
- Breast cancer patient cases are discussed by breast surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, radiation and medical oncologists and breast cancer support nurses at multidisciplinary team meetings
- A breast reconstruction service is available following mastectomy for immediate or delayed reconstruction
The unit is a leader in the provision of endocrine surgery in Victoria. Specialist surgeons provide surgery for the thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands:
- Patients are usually seen within a week and access to surgery is readily available
- Thyroid cancer cases are discussed by endocrine surgeons, endocrinologists, pathologists, radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians at multidisciplinary team meetings. Collaborative treatment plans for individual patients are developed and recommended
- Patient follow-up is facilitated by the multidisciplinary team meetings and endocrinology nursing staff
- The Alfred is the hub of the Monash University Endocrine Surgery Unit which combines expertise in endocrine surgery across the Monash University teaching hospitals and results in collaborative teaching and research projects
The unit provides a large volume of general surgery including:
- Melanoma surgery
- Salivary gland surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Hernia surgery
- Removal of skin lesions and lipomas
- Emergency surgery (general and trauma)
We also work in conjunction with the Victorian Melanoma Service.
This service does not routinely offer treatment for the following:
- Patients who are being treated for the same condition at another Victorian public hospital
- Children under 18 years of age
- Cosmetic breast surgery is not offered at The Alfred
For more information about aesthetic surgery, visit the Department of Health Guidelines for Aesthetic Surgery on the Public Hospital Waiting List
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency.
Patients requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.
If a patient requires surgery, they will be placed on a surgical waiting list. The patient may also need to attend a Pre-Admission Clinic prior to surgery.
To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the service Registrar to discuss the case.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.
- Referral enquiries (03) 9076 2025
- Referral fax (03) 9076 6938
Breast & Endocrine (BES) referral guidelines 1 MB
Specialist Consulting Clinics Referral Form 229 KB
General Surgery referral guidelines 2 MB
Radiology and Nuclear Medicine request form 67 KB
Guidelines for Aesthetic Surgery on the Public Hospital Waiting List
Victorian Government guidelines for referring patients for elective surgery
|Endocrine Surgery & General Surgery Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|Breast Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|
|BES Review Clinic||The Alfred||55 Commercial Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004|