Internship at Alfred Health
At Alfred Health, we recognise the difficult transition from medical student to intern and provide dedicated support to help you through your first postgraduate year.
Applications for 2021 Intern positions have now closed.
As an Alfred Health Intern, you will participate in an extensive orientation program dedicated to covering clinical scenarios and a further orientation program combining didactic, hands on workshops and skills stations to ensure your transition is smooth and you gain the clinical skills necessary to perform at intern level.
As part of our commitment, we provide a comprehensive education program aimed at intern level and mapped to the Australian Curriculum Framework, including weekly education sessions, numerous unit meetings and professional development programs.
Our long standing Junior Medical Staff Mentor Program has played a significant role in nurturing our junior doctors to reach their full potential since. Our dedicated Senior Medical Staff are passionately committed to the program and to providing the support and guidance to our junior staff needed to help achieve their goals and future career aspirations.
Your registrar and consultant will provide you with the necessary supervision while you are on the ward while the Supervisor of Intern Training and a wide range of staff are also available to aid you in career choices, providing advice and assistance around any concerns you may have throughout the year.
Our 2021 Virtual Intern Live Webinar was held on Saturday, 2 May 2020 at 9am.
Attendance was neither compulsory nor part of the selection criteria.
This session was recommended for final year medical students.
To apply for Internship at Alfred Health, you must ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for the PMCV prior to proceeding with your application.
Intern Group 1
- Australian permanent resident graduates of Victorian universities including domestic full fee paying students and New Zealand citizens (such as graduates of University of Melbourne, Monash University, Deakin University and University of Notre Dame: Melbourne Clinical School).
Intern Non Group 1
- Australian temporary resident graduates of Victorian universities
- Australian permanent resident graduates of interstate or New Zealand universities (including previous residents of Victoria)
- Australian temporary resident graduates of interstate universities
- New Zealand temporary resident graduates of New Zealand universities
- Graduates from an overseas campus of an Australian/New Zealand University accredited by the Australian Medical Council (e.g. Monash University – Sunway Campus, Malaysia)
|4 June 2020||Applications Close|
|13 July 2020|
|11January 2021||Start Date|
How is my application assessed and ranked?
We look for individuals who:
- Aspire to have a future career at Alfred Health
- Demonstrate academic, clinical and personal traits that Alfred Health would see as desirable in a potential employee / trainee
- Take ownership and responsibility for their work
- Are committed to a high level of care for our patients and community
- Are compassionate with their patients and colleagues
- Value and support diversity and team work
- Appreciate multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary nature of patient care
- Are passionate in their desire to lead, develop and improve our services
- Have an interest in academic pursuits including research.
All applications are assessed on three elements:
- Application/Curriculum Vitae information
- Clinical experience
- Communication/teamwork and maturity
- Interest in Alfred Health
- Knowledge of Alfred Health ie. how a candidate fits with the working culture
- Academic and scholarly pursuits
- Academic results - university Z score
- Video interviews
The combination of all of the above will determine the final ranking.
Frequently asked questions
A cover letter should be attached when submitting your Intern application. Please address your cover letter to the MWU Recruitment Team.
For the summary of up to 200 words on your online application – you can copy and paste the relevant section from your cover letter or write something new. Either is acceptable.
The PMCV Standardised CV template should be used when submitting your Intern application. If you are a non Group 1 applicant and wish to provide your academic transcript, please add it to the end of your CV.
The LiveHire system will ask some generic questions, such as availability, type of employment, etc. These are questions in the LiveHire system that cannot be disabled, so please select a response for these generic questions to proceed to the Intern application questions.
The responses to the generic questions are not taken into consideration when we review your application. However, you must answer all questions after the PMCV computer eligibility question.