Volunteer at The Alfred
Volunteers are vital to our hospital. They provide many extra services, which supplement the care and treatment of our patients.
The Alfred volunteer program offers services including:
- hand and foot massages
- tea and coffee trolley service to outpatients
- shop trolley service for inpatients
- social visiting
- administration duties and
- a concierge service supporting patients when accessing the hospital.
The first step in becoming an Alfred volunteer is to attend an information session, which are held throughout the year.
Potential volunteers will be asked to:
- undertake a police check
- attend an orientation session
- attend one full day of training.
Ongoing training and support is provided to all successful applicants.
We are no longer progressing volunteer applications due to COVID-19. You can still register and we will be in contact when services resume.
Volunteer Kate Pointon knows what it’s like to be a patient on the Neurosurgery ward at The Alfred – it’s where she spent three months last year recovering from a brain aneurysm. Now, she’s one of the first “Host Volunteers”, providing patients on the Neurosurgery and Trauma wards with companionship and conversation.