We care for and treat people with a wide range of problems associated with their heart valves or with the chambers of their heart.
What we do
The Structural Heart Clinic supports The Alfred Structural Heart Program, one of the largest in Australia.
The clinic offers a comprehensive assessment and completion of tests for patients with problems with their heart valves such as:
- when the valve is tight (a stenosis)
- when the valve is leaky (regurgitation)
- when there is a problem between the chambers of their heart such as a patent foramen ovale (a hole in the heart).
Prof Stephen Duffy and Dr Dion Stub provide clinical assessment in the clinic and also perform structural heart interventional procedures, together with colleagues A/Prof Antony Walton and Dr Nay Htun.
Support and coordination of assessments is facilitated by dedicated Structural Heart Nurse Coordinator.
How to access this clinic
Referral from your GP
You need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral letter to us. We will be in contact with you in clinically recommended times, depending on waiting list length. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)
|Tuesday||The Alfred||9.00am - 12.00pm|
- Prof Stephen Duffy: Cardiology
- Dr Dion Stub: Cardiology