We care for people who have had a heart transplant, or are waiting to have a heart transplant.
What we do
Our clinic cares and supports people who:
- are in the process of having a heart transplant assessment
- are on the waiting list for a heart transplant
- have had a heart transplant or insertion of a ventricular assist device (VAD)
When you come into clinic, ensure you bring with you all test results if they have been done outside of The Alfred, medication and your transplant booklet/diary. Letters from other specialist doctors is also helpful as we can then put these into your patient file.
For transplant patients who are unwell or have concerns, they can ring the clinic during business hours on Monday to Friday and speak to the transplant nurse for advice on what to do.
How to access this clinic
Referral from your GP
You need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral letter to us. We will be in contact with you in clinically recommended times, depending on waiting list length. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
What to bring
Every time you come
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Private health insurance card (if applicable/if you want to use it)
- Adverse drug alert card (if you have one)
- Previous x-ray films, scans, ultrasounds or any other test results or reports
- Medicines you need to take while you are here
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
For a clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- TAC or Workcover claim number (if relevant)
|Monday||The Alfred||1.00pm - 5.00pm|
|Friday||The Alfred||9.00am - 1.00pm|
- Prof Andrew Taylor: Cardiology
- Dr James Hare: Cardiology
- Dr Angeline Leet: Cardiology
ResourcesAll patient resources
Transplant patient education manual 449 KB
Heart transplantation patient information booklet 807 KB
Signs and symptoms of infection for heart transplant patients 88 KB
Signs and symptoms of rejection for heart transplant patients 88 KB
Vaccination after heart transplant 133 KB
Your guide to heart failure 2 MB
Information about our programs