As part of ongoing renovations at Sandringham Hospital, the location of some services and clinics will temporarily change from Monday July 20. The works are due for completion by the end of September 2020. A map can be found here. For details, please call (03) 9076 1288.
The aim of the service is to assist in optimising patients' health, nutritional status and quality of life. We perform nutritional assessments, prescribe therapeutic diets and/or nutritional support and provide dietary counselling and education.
Clinical service overview
We care for:
- inpatients at all three hospital sites
- outpatients who have been referred from a clinical service within Alfred Health
- people in the community whilst under specialised programs (such as HARP and psychiatry)
- people in the community who are referred to the Caulfield Community Health Service or the Community Rehabilitation Program
Nutrition and Dietetics have staffed based at The Alfred, Sandringham and Caulfield Hospitals. The department is organised into seven clinical clusters.
Qualified dietitians provide services to all clinical areas in the hospital. Speciality areas include:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Gastroenterology – functional gut disorders, inflammatory bowel disorders, liver disease
- Heart and lung transplant
- Haematology and bone marrow transplant
- Home Enteral Nutrition (HEN)
- Infectious diseases and HIV
- Intensive care
- Mobile Assessment Treatment Service (MATS)
- PEG clinic
- Renal dialysis
- Laparoscopic banding
- Therapy in the Home (TITH)
- Trauma and burns
Spotless (private company) provides an on-site cook-fresh food service to The Alfred.
The Nutrition and Dietetics Department and Food Service work together to cater for the special dietary, religious and cultural requirements of our patients. Allocated food service dietitians conduct regular audits to ensure delivery of a high quality meal service.
Teaching and training
There is a strong relationship with both Monash University and LaTrobe University, and the department is integral to clinical teaching and training of both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
There are also observerships and work experience opportunities offered through the department. Visit the Allied Health workforce page for more information.
Nutrition & dietetics research
Visit our research page for further information.
Refer your patient
Internal referrals only
We accept referrals for inpatients and patients who have been referred internally from Alfred Health services.
- Referral enquiries (CCHS) (03) 9076 6666
- Referral fax (CCHS) (03) 9076 6773
- Enquiries email (CCHS) firstname.lastname@example.org
A not-for-profit association, comprising five state organisations supporting people with coeliac disease
Promoting optimal health by encouraging food variety and physical activity
Australasian Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
Training, continuing education and encouragement of teaching and research focusing on clinical nutrition
Nutrition and Dietetics - CCHS
Nutrition and Dietetics for Children & Women - CCHS