Emergency & Trauma research
The Alfred Emergency and Trauma Centre (E&TC) is a tertiary referral centre for Victoria and provides a statewide emergency medical service for adult trauma, hyperbaric medicine, burns, HIV medicine, cystic fibrosis, haemophilia, haematological malignancies, heart and lung transplant and critical neurosurgery.
Research is concentrated on pre-hospital care, emergency medicine (EM) and trauma resuscitation and focuses on improving safety, satisfaction and quality. There is an emphasis on research methods education, evidence-based medicine and international development of EM.
The E&TC is a participant in the Monash Partners Academic Health Science Centre under the critical care, trauma and perioperative medicine theme. This involves working with national research networks including:
- Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society (ANZICS) Clinical Trials Group
- ANZ College of Anaesthetists Clinical Trials Group
- National Trauma Research Institute
- Australasian Cochrane Centre
- Monash University School of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (SPHPM)