Recruitment process for graduate nurses
Applications for Graduate Nurse positions for 2021 open Monday 13 July.
How to apply
To apply for a position in Alfred Health's Graduate Nurse Program (General) or Graduate Nurse Program (Mental and Addiction Health) you are only required to submit one application.
Follow these steps...
1. Register for Computer Match
Alfred Health participates in the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV) Computer Match process. To apply for a position you must participate in the Victorian Nursing Computer Match.
For details on how to participate, contact PMCV directly or visit the PMCV website.
2. Read Position Description
Download and read the relevant Position Description to make sure you understand what is expected of you:
Alfred Health Registered Nurse Position Description
Alfred Health Registered Mental and Addiction Health Graduate Nurse Position Description
3. Apply online
Complete the general application form.
You will need to answer questions regarding placements, work status and start date preferences. Once you complete this application form, you will receive an email to confirm that your application has been received.
Make sure you have the following documents ready as you need them to complete your application:
- Cover letter
- Up to date resume/CV (maximum of 3 pages and include referees)
- Please embed photo into your CV
- Most recent academic transcript (does not need to be certified)
- Details of two referees:
- Applicants can nominate up to two clinical referees.
- A new feature of the Graduate Nurse/Midwifery Program match this year is that applicants can nominate up to two clinical referees on the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria’s (PMCV) Allocation and Management service website. Applicants can then enter details for each referee that you wish to complete a reference for you.
- Please see Candidate User guide on the PMCV website for further information.
- Clinical appraisals:
- For Graduate Nurse Program (General) - A copy of two recent Clinical Appraisals. Summaries (approximately three to five pages) are sufficient. These documents do not need to be certified. Please provide clinical appraisals from Semester 2, 2019 and Semester 1, 2020. We appreciate due to disruptions to placements this year, candidates may have to submit a sub-acute, community or Mental Health placement if required.
- For Graduate Nurse Program (Mental and Addiction Health) - the most recent Clinical Appraisal Summary and Mental Health Clinical Appraisal Summary (does not need to be certified).
Cover letter tips
Here are some points to make your application stand out:
- For Graduate Nurse Program (General) - address cover letter to Sue Brack
- For Graduate Nurse Program (Mental and Addiction Health) - address cover letter to Shana McCormack
- Keep your cover letter to one page (no more than three or four paragraphs)
- Explain why you are interested in completing your Graduate year at Alfred Health
- What is it about Alfred Health that resonates with you personally? (Values and Beliefs)
- Include overall objective or summary that shares a little about you
- Identify clearly your completed and current qualifications with dates (months and years)
- Clearly share each job you have had – dates, title, company and list 4-6 bullet points outlining the duties you performed
- Identify any key achievements you have made professionally
- Share your volunteer and community experience/involvement
If your application is successful, you will be required to partake in an interview using an online video platform.
Successful applicants will be notified via the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria’s (PMCV) Allocation and Management service website.
Interview (Mental and Addiction Health)
You will be invited to attend an individual interview in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere if your application meets our initial selection requirements. You will be notified if you are successful for an interview via email.
For the interview you will be required to bring with you certified copy of your most recent academic transcript, professional passport photo and two written references.
The results of the Computer Match will be provided to hospitals and candidates by PMCV on Monday 19 October 2020, on the PMCV website.
If you have been successfully matched with Alfred Health you will receive a welcome email and package within two weeks.
To be eligible to participate in Computer Match, you must be either an Australian citizen/resident or a New Zealand citizen.
Alfred Health recruits through the Computer Match process and has achieved 100% match for many years. We only accept applicants who are eligible for Computer Match.
Should there be any positions available following Computer Match they will be advertised on the Alfred Health careers website.
The Mental and Addiction Health Graduate Nurse Program will accept direct applications from international students with appropriate visas. Please indicate that you are an international student on your application. Applications will be considered in conjunction with the Computer Match.