A Life Saved - A Life Lived
In 2006 at just 17 years-old Shannah Anderson was brought to The Alfred with what she thought was the flu. In mere hours she was close to death, after rapidly developing a type of infection well known for being fatal.
A strain of potentially deadly Staphylococcus bacteria, probably lying dormant in Shannah’s body for some time, had erupted as a result of the flu and rampaged through her body, shutting down her major organs and damaging her lungs.
For Shannah, having the right equipment at the right time was the difference between life and death. It has meant she has been able to go on to live an amazing and full life. When asked, Shannah recounts so many special milestones and memories in her life since her time at The Alfred and has been gracious enough to share these with us.
It is because of stories such as Shannah’s that we decided to launch the Lifesaving Equipment Fund. Shannah’s survival relied extensively on an extraordinary amount of equipment, in particular the ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) machine.