Clinical trials in diabetes and thyroid care
- SELECT was a phase 3, randomised, placebo-controlled trial of lenvatinib in advanced radioiodine-refractory thyroid cancer, which recruited 392 patients worldwide, including 17 in Australia with 7 of those at The Alfred. Patients receiving the therapy had a marked benefit in progression-free survival (Schlumberger M et al., N Engl J Med 2015). Lenvatinib has been registered by the FDA and registration is being pursued in Australia.
- TECOS is a randomised, placebo-controlled, international clinical trial designed to assess the impact of sitagliptin therapy on cardiovascular event rates in type 2 diabetes. It is now in close-out phase with results expected in late 2015.
- CANVAS is a randomised, placebo-controlled, international study of the effects of canagliflozin on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.
- ADJUNCT-ONE is a 12-month, randomised, placebocontrolled trial of liraglutide, a GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) analogue, as an adjunct to insulin in type 1 diabetes. The trial will conclude in June 2015.
- DECLARE is a randomised, placebo-controlled, international study of the effects of dapagliflozin on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.