The Alfred's ground-breaking study providing people at risk of HIV with access to the life changing medication Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) expanded into major regional centres for the first time.
PrEP is a life changing HIV prevention medication for people at risk of HIV infection. More than 2600 at risk Victorians are now accessing the drug through the Victorian-first PrEPX study, run by The Alfred in collaboration with community groups, clinics and GPs.
The study will now be expanded into rural and regional sites providing access to 150 places in the study.
Ballarat is on track to be first regional site, followed closely by Shepparton. In early 2017, sites will open at Bendigo, Mildura and Sale. Appointments are also expected to be available in Geelong and Wodonga next year.
Local providers for the study will be:
• Ballarat Community Health Centre’s sexual health clinic
• University Hospital Geelong’s sexual health clinic
• A private GP in Shepparton
• Bendigo Community Health Service’s sexual health clinic
• Gateway Community Health Service's sexual health clinic in Wodonga
• Alfred Health Outreach Clinics at Mildura Base Hospital
• Central Gippsland Health Service