Recruitment process for graduate nurses
Applications for Graduate Nurse positions for 2020 open Monday 10 June.
How to apply
To apply for a position in Alfred Health's Graduate Nurse Program (General) or Graduate Nurse Program (Mental Health) you are only required to submit one application.
Follow these steps...
1. Register for Computer Match
Alfred Health participates in the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV) Computer Match process. To apply for a position you must participate in the Victorian Nursing Computer Match.
For details on how to participate, contact PMCV directly or visit the PMCV website.
2. Read Position Description
Download and read the relevant Position Description to make sure you understand what is expected of you:
Alfred Health Registered Nurse Position Description
Alfred Health Registered Psychiatric Graduate Nurse Position Description
3. Apply online
Complete the general application form.
You will need to answer questions regarding placements, work status and start date preferences. Once you complete this application form, you will receive an email to confirm that your application has been received.
Make sure you have the following documents ready as you need them to complete your application:
- Cover letter
- Up to date resume/CV (maximum of 3 pages and include referees)
- Most recent academic transcript (does not need to be certified)
- Details of two referees:
- One referee must be nursing related (i.e Nurse Educator). Please note that if you nominate a Nurse Educator they must have supervised you for a minimum of 2 weeks in either Semester 2, 2018 or Semester 1, 2019.
- Second referee may be work, academic or other type of referee (i.e sporting coach). Do not provide referees that know you in a personal capacity.
- Please note: if you have clinical placement at Alfred Health we reserve the right to contact your clinical coach/facilitator for a reference.
- Clinical appraisals:
- For Graduate Nurse Program (General) - A copy of two recent Clinical Appraisals. Summaries (approximately three to five pages) are sufficient. These documents do not need to be certified.
- For Graduate Nurse Program (Mental Health) - Mental Health Clinical Appraisal Summary and recent Non Mental Health Clinical Appraisal Summary (does not need to be certified)
Cover letter tips
Here are some points to make your application stand out:
- For Graduate Nurse Program (General) - address cover letter to Sue Brack
- For Graduate Nurse Program (Mental Health) - address cover letter to Shana McCormack
- Keep your cover letter to one page (no more than three or four paragraphs)
- Explain why you are interested in completing your Graduate year at Alfred Health
- What is it about Alfred Health that resonates with you personally? (Values and Beliefs)
- Include overall objective or summary that shares a little about you
- Identify clearly your completed and current qualifications with dates (months and years)
- Clearly share each job you have had – dates, title, company and list 4-6 bullet points outlining the duties you performed
- Identify any key achievements you have made professionally
- Share your volunteer and community experience/involvement
You will be invited to attend a group activity in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere if your application meets our initial requirements. You will be notified if you are successful for a group activity via email.
At the group activity, you will be required to bring with you:
- Certified copy of your most recent academic transcript
- Completed Alfred Health Applicant Summary Sheet
- Professional passport photo
The results of the Computer Match will be provided to hospitals and candidates by PMCV on Wednesday 9 October 2019, on the PMCV website.
If you have been successfully matched with Alfred Health you will receive a welcome email and package within two weeks.
To be eligible to participate in Computer Match, you must be either an Australian citizen/resident or a New Zealand citizen.
Alfred Health recruits through the Computer Match process and has achieved 100% match for many years. We only accept applicants who are eligible for Computer Match.
Should there be any positions available following Computer Match they will be advertised on the Alfred Health careers website.
The Mental Health Graduate Nurse Program will accept direct applications from international students, by emailing all required documents detailed above to email@example.com. Applications will be considered in conjunction with the Computer Match.