Graduate Nurse Program (Mental Health)
We understand that transitioning from a student nurse to a practising nurse can sometimes be daunting.
About the program
Alfred Psychiatry offers positions through both computer match for domestic students and through direct hospital application for international students. We seek graduate nurses wishing to specialise in Mental Health Nursing. We offer a total of 10 positions for a February intake.
Our Graduate Year Program has been developed to provide a supportive environment assisting newly registered nurses to consolidate and further develop their knowledge and skills in Mental Health Nursing.
The emphasis is on working in collaboration with you, in order to develop your practice as a beginning level Mental Health Nurse. We are committed to supporting our new staff so that they can develop therapeutic skills in team based nursing. By developing therapeutic skills our graduates may take on roles as team nurses, case managers and clinical leaders in the future.
Find out more in our brochure.
We are seeking applicants who want to grow as Mental Health Nurses and are seeking long-term career prospects. We also want positive individuals who can contribute to the friendly atmosphere at Alfred Psychiatry.
So if you think you meet this criteria then place Alfred Psychiatry number one in your computer match.
What we offer
The Alfred Psychiatry Graduate Nurse Program includes theoretical and practice components. Our program is a fully accredited Graduate year that will focus on your skill development.
You will work with a dedicated educator, and support network and focus on developing your assessment and interventions skills. Skills assessments will assist you to develop competencies whilst working with consumers.
Our program provides an overview of the major theoretical areas of specialty and enables you to develop your conceptual understanding of practice in Mental Health Care.
We will provide you with a dedicated nurse educator; a preceptor and one of our past graduates who will be your clinical buddy.
In this program your clinical learning is supported through a clinical supervision program that compliment study days. This introduces Graduates to skills attainment in key clinical areas of Mental Health Nursing practice, including the development of reflective practice skills.
We offer one of the best professional development funds in Victoria with contribution towards conference registration, airfares and accommodation. Yes, we do send our Graduates to conferences and this is one of the rewards of working as a team member at The Alfred.
Successful completion of the Alfred Psychiatry Graduate Nurse Program will provide you with credit towards a postgraduate diploma/Masters in Mental Health Nursing at the University of Melbourne, RMIT or La Trobe University. Should you wish to engage in a course at another University we may be able to negotiate credit for you.
We encourage and support our nurses to continue their studies beyond the Graduate Program.
This program will assist you to develop your shift leadership skills and mentor you for future advanced practice roles.
Why we're different
The Alfred Psychiatry Program is different because we offer:
- The longest running Mental Health Graduate Nurse Program in Victoria
- A supportive and friendly environment to assist your transition from student to registered nurse
- Credit towards postgraduate study with a choice of which University
- No need to undertake external study in your graduate year. This program will equate to credit and fee reduction for postgraduate / Masters programs
- Our graduates will be offered a 12 month contract. On successful completion of the graduate year you will be offered ongoing employment.
- Consolidation in one area with a rotation to community residential rehabilitation and the opportunity to rotate to our aged psychiatry in patient unit
- Team based nursing experience and a central role in the multidisciplinary team
- A preceptor and a buddy nurse for every graduate
- Six weeks annual leave (pro rata)
- An externally accredited and evaluated graduate nurse curriculum
- Clinical skills assessment with a dedicated educator
- A professional development fund that will financially assist you to attend conferences both nationally and overseas
- Well prepared educators who can guide your career with The Alfred
- Generous salary packaging, and attractive contemporary work environment
- Child Care and a 24 hour fully equipped gymnasium
- Convenient location with excellent transport links
- No night duty during graduate year
Find out how we recruit graduate nurses into our programs.
Find out more about what Alfred Health graduates say about our GNPs.
Frequently asked questions
Find out more about the questions people often ask us.