Applications have closed
Alfred Psychiatry is seeking applications from motivated doctors who share The Alfred’s values of integrity, collaboration and accountability and wish to participate in the Psychiatry Registrar Training Program, starting February 2018.
Psychiatry Registrar (Stage 1)
Alfred Psychiatry offers a comprehensive basic training program. First year rotations include six months on either of the adult inpatient wards, and six months at one of the two proximally-located community mental health clinics. A structured tutorial programme for first years includes weekly clinical education sessions from a range of specialist presenters, and weekly clinical interview skills tutorials ensuring junior trainees maximise opportunities to bolster theoretical and practical clinical knowledge.
Psychiatry Registrar (Stage 2)
Second year trainees will enjoy a focus on child and youth mental health with six month rotations to both The Alfred Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CYMHS) and the headspace Youth Mental Health Foundation. These placements afford a myriad of opportunities to work with children, young people and their families in a co-designed program that includes reflective family therapy and a discovery college providing co-produced and co-delivered activities. Child and adolescent teaching occurs one morning each week throughout the year for the second year trainees.
Third year trainees complete a mandatory six months in Liaison & Emergency (C-L) Psychiatry at The Alfred, working in one of Victoria’s largest C-L services with liaison attachments to several statewide subspecialty services with liaison attachments to HIV psychiatry, lung transplant, trauma and burns, cystic fibrosis, renal, neurology, oncology, acquired brain injury and addictions units.
An exam tutorial programme runs twice each year both for the written examination and the OSCE exam. All trainees have an individual psychoanalytic psychotherapy psychiatrist supervisor to support them in completing the 40 session psychological methods case.
Psychiatry Registrar (Stage 3)
A number of opportunities are available in advanced or stage 3 training. These include:
- Subspecialty training in adult psychiatry, with adult rotations through a number of private hospitals including:
- Melbourne Clinic
- Victoria Clinic
- Pinelodge Clinic
- Alfred Psychiatry Intensive Care Statewide Service (APICSS)
- Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team
- Emergency Psychiatry Service
- Mobile Support & Treatment Team
- Homeless Outreach Team
- Research positions with Prof Jayashri Kulkarni and Prof Paul Fitzgerald, whose primary research interests are in women’s mental health and neurostimulation respectively.
- Subspecialty training in child and adolescent psychiatry (with additional rotations in infant psychiatry and developmental disorders), consultation and liaison psychiatry, and psychiatry of old age (with additional rotations in aged liaison psychiatry).
Advanced trainees access a Leadership and Management program. Psychotherapy training is augmented by weekly group psychotherapy supervision for advanced trainee, an annual CBT seminar programme and a monthly Reading Group.
Registrars at The Alfred are encouraged to attend the weekly Professorial Grand Round, and fortnightly Journal Club. A peer support programme includes monthly meetings for the entire registrar group which ensures a focus on trainee wellbeing.
1. Organise referees and CV
Before you apply online, make sure you:
- Send the HMO & Registrar Referee Form to your three referees
- Have your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and cover letter ready for upload during online application.
All referees must be at consultant level. Registrars will not be accepted.
You or your referees need to email the completed referral forms by the due date to Medical Workforce Unit firstname.lastname@example.org
2: Apply online
Select Apply now. Complete and submit the Alfred Health application form online, together with your cover letter and your Curriculum Vitae (CV).
3: Be available for interview
Only applicants who have been selected for an interview will receive an email to book an interview time.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and positions may be offered before the closing date.