Description of Service
Volunteering your time to help others can be a rewarding experience.
You meet new people, learn new skills and give back to the local community at the same time.
We are fortunate at Sandringham Hospital to have the help of volunteers who regularly give their time to support our busy staff and enrich patients' experience in the hospital.
Our volunteers are from all areas of the local community and although they do not replace paid staff, their support is invaluable to our service.
Key volunteer groups are:
- Pink Ladies help care for patients' flowers by watering, arranging & discarding when finished blooming.
- Couriers assist with mail distribution, photocopying, filing, shredding, sorting and other basic clerical work
- Kiosk Attendants help run the kiosk selling newspapers, magazines, flowers, cards, gifts & confectionery. The kiosk is open 11.00am - 7.00pm and is normally staffed in 4 hourly shifts. All money raised by the kiosk is donated back to the hospital to purchase new equipment.
- Shop Trolley - This group of volunteers visits patients on the wards and Dialysis. Although they have a few necessary items for sale their main objective is giving patients a visitor.
- Emergency Volunteers - These volunteers assist in the Emergency department by providing a support to patients and families. They help provide comfort and support when required, tidy the play area and assist at meal times. There are 3 x 3 hour shifts per day starting at 0800, 1100, and 1700.
- Gardening Group - help to maintain the large garden areas of Sandringham Hospital including weeding and tidying the garden beds.
- Consumer Register - gives members of the community, consumers and carers the opportunity to offer their input into Sandringham Hospital's service planning and decision making. We want to encourage people to have a say and to contribute their experience and knowledge to improving our services. Being part of the Consumer Register you will receive information about opportunities to participate in various groups.
- The Black Rock Sports Auxiliary is also a vital volunteer group,raising funds for the hospital since 1950 through an Annual Charity Golf Day at the Royal Melbourne Golf Club. They welcome volunteers from the communityand also bookings for attendance at the event.
We always welcome new volunteers. If you would like more information on volunteering, contact the hospital on 9076 1000.