Description of Service
The pharmacy services consist of over 130eft (including Research and Clinical Trials) operating over 4 sites within Alfred Health. In addition, the service supports and trains almost 100 students a year: interns, undergraduates and overseas research students. Pharmacists are essential members of all clinical teams and have a critical role in patient management. Their understanding of Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology and Medication Management ensures Alfred Health patients receive the best pharmacy care possible. The service has 3 key priorities:
- Medication safety
- Cost effective use of medicines
- Delivery of specialist pharmacy expertise at critical points in the patient care pathway
Services have been aligned with the Alfred Health clinical programme structure.
- The Surgical directorate provide clinical services to units including Burns,Trauma & Gastroenterology.
- The Cardiothoracic and Critical Care directorate provide clinical pharmacy services to Respiratory, Transplant, Cardiothoracics, Cardiology and all three ICU units.
- The General Medicine directorate provide clinical services to units such as the General Medical, Renal, Gastroenterology and Endocrinology as well as to the Emergency Department.
- The Medical Specialities include units such as Infectious Diseases including HIV (including day services to Melbourne Sexual Health Centre), Palliative Care, Oncology, Haematology.
- Outreach and Disease Management Services
- Rehabilitation, Aged Care Directorate based at Caulfield Hospital provides Community, Rehabilitation, Aged Care, Residential Care and Aged Psychiatry services.
- Sandringham Hospital provides services to general medical, surgical, day procedure & maternity units.
2. Quality Use of Medicines Services:
- Medication safety services
- Medication evaluation services with DUE and Quality Use of Medicines
- Drug Information Centre
- Formulary Management
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
3. Operational Services:
- Including centralised inpatient and discharge dispensing, outpatient pharmacy services as well as providing aseptic preparation & manufacturing services.
- Clinical trial support services to over 270 clinical trials both; inhouse and commercial
- Dedicated research positions funded to do research
- Post-graduate and Undergraduate research program
- Monash University Centre for Medication Use and Safety
- Number of funded research projects and collaborations
- Formalised vocation education program focusing on clinical pharmacy programs
- Educational programmes focussing on personal development of junior staff to aid with career progression
- ALF and GLF